The coronavirus is a major public health concern and scientists and health officials across Montana and the U.S. along with the National Audubon Society are recommending organizations cancel most public events. Although field trips are outdoors and participants are separated in vehicles, FAS believes any group activity involves some level of health risk at this time. Therefore we are cancelling our previously announced field trips for both March and April 2020. We will let you know through our Pileated Post newsletter, social media, here on our website the status of our May and other future field trips. The website will have the most recent updates.
It is still a great time of year to get outside and go birding on your own. Our website has a list of excellent locations around the valley such as Owen Sowerwine, Lower and Smith Valleys, and West Valley for observing spring migration at our Birding Hotspots page. Breathe some fresh air and challenge yourself to learn new birds! If you have exciting bird sightings that you want to share or amazing bird photos, let us know by emailing email@example.com.
If you do get outdoors safely to enjoy our spring migration of waterfowl and songbirds, we suggest that you do not carpool, do not share binoculars or scopes with any other people, and, that you respect others’ space, even when outside.
Thank you so much for your patience and understanding and we look forward to getting back together as soon as we can do so safely!
- RIVERSIDE EARLY BIRDS, Owen Sowerwine Natural Area (OSNA), Kalispell. Sunday, April 19:00 am- 12 noon. CANCELLED.
The following field trips are tentative, pending a change in CDC guidelines or other factors affecting public health and safety. Details for each will appear in next month’s Pileated Post.
- SWAN RIVER NATURE TRAIL STROLL, Bigfork, with Anne Morley. Every Thursday in May, 10 AM.
- BIRDS AND NATIVE FLORA OF SPRING BROOK RANCH, Kalispell. Wednesday May 13, 5:30-7:30 PM.
- SMITH LAKE BIKE AND BIRD TOUR, Saturday May 16, 9AM-noon.
- BIRDS AND NATIVE PLANTS of Flathead Lake State Park, Bigfork, Tuesday May 19, 5:30-7:30 PM.