Here in northwest Montana we are fortunate to have both a population of common loons and good fishing in many lakes that support loons. Unfortunately, the lead sinkers and jigs often used for fishing pose a significant threat to loons. Loons often swallow fishing tackle and lead is toxic to loons. One lead sinker can kill a loon. Lead sinkers and jigs 1 1/2 inches or smaller along the longest axis are known to cause loon mortality. In our neighboring state of Washington, one third of loon mortalities from 1999-2010 were attributed to lead poisoning.
Numerous other studies around the country have documented the same adverse effects. Many other species such as waterfowl and fish also suffer from lead toxicity.
The good news is that non-toxic alternatives for fishing tackle are available at local fishing supply stores and online from many sources. An extensive list of companies that sell lead-free tackle is available on the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency website: go to www.pca.state.mn.us then search for nontoxic tackle. Tell all your fishing friends and fellow anglers about the problem with loons and lead tackle and be sure to add that non-toxic alternatives are easily available. The sooner more people become aware of the problem and switch to non-toxic fishing tackle the quicker the lead poisoning rate in loons will decline.
More information about loons and lead poisoning is available from the Montana Loon Society (montanaloons.org) and the Montana Common Loon Working Group (email@example.com)